Thursday 2 April 2009

We sure are cute for two ugly people


10. Alcohol – Millionaires
Bling Bling Bling

I have no clue how this even ended up on this list. It’s a decision I know I’ll regret. I actually already do. Oh my god.

9. Should I stay or should I go – The Clash
Combat Rock
I bet when you saw the Clash you thought it was going to be ‘London’s Calling’ but since I think it’s the most over-rated song in the history of the music I thought I’d broaden your horizons and put this on the list.

8. Hong Kong Garden – Siouxsie and the Banshees
This song was wrote about a group of racist skinheads who went into Hong Kong Garden Chinese takeaway to terrorize the staff there and Siouxsie said the song was a ‘tribute’ to the people who worked their and to say ‘leave them alone’ to the skinheads.
Apart from its message it’s a ridiculously good song and is almost constantly stuck in my head.

7. Bathwater – No Doubt
Return of Saturn
If this was any other band I’d worry about boring you with their constant appearance on my playlists, but since its No Doubt and they can never be boring I’m not bothered.

6. Chick Habit – April March
The kiss of the crocodile

I first heard this song on the movie Deathproof and I think it’s awesome. I’m not even sure what it is I like about it but I always listen to it when I’m driving, well, when my mum’s driving. But she really doesn’t like this song as much as I do.

5. Don’t want to go to bed now – Gabriella Cilmi
Lessons to be learned

This is actually one of my favourite albums of 2008, it was pretty much the soundtrack to my summer and then my winter (Warm This Winter was the only Christmas song I listened to). She’s always compared to Amy Winehouse but I don’t see the resemblance much, although given her drunken behaviour at the ARIAs (overwhelmed by the 6 awards she won?) a lot of people thought she’d be going down the same path soon. I don’t reckon she will. Fingers crossed anyway because I’d quite like to hear a second album from her.

4. Anyone else but you – The Moldy Peaches
The Moldy peaches

Probably the cutest song I’ve ever heard, the vocals aren’t stereotypically good and the songs are basic but this is what I think makes them so good. It’s on the Juno soundtrack which is where I first heard about them and Ellen Page and Michael Cera actually cover it and play it at the end of the movie. So listen to both versions, because there lovely.

3. Uh-huh - Munchausen By Proxy
Unfortunately they’re not a real band, just Zooey Deschanel’s fictional band from the movie Yes Man, made up of the band Von Iva with Zooey fronting them. This song makes me laugh every time I hear it, it’s even funnier if you’ve seen the movie and have seen the costumes the band wears to perform in. If not here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVtd2xvlf4c

2. How you love me now – Hey Monday
Hold on tight

I feel a bit behind the times since they’ve been around since 2007, but I’ve actually only just heard about this band and I really love them. I’ve been listening to their album Hold on tight all week and it fully wakes me up on the bus journey to college and I have to hold back from singing along because I really don’t think the other people on the bus would like that much. They’ve been compared to Paramore, just like every other female fronted alternative band in the last 4 years but they’re not that similar and even though I’m a fan of Paramore, I prefer Cassadee Pope’s vocals over Hayley Williams.

1. Teenage kicks – Nouvelle Vague
I really like this version of the song. I heard it on the advert for the new series of the Inbetweeners. It reminds me of summer so I thought it was an appropriate choice for number one on the list this week since it goes so well with the weather we’ve been having recently :).

No comments:

Post a Comment